Applying for unemployment Insurance Benefits
Workforce Solutions does not administer or oversee Unemployment Insurance benefits or claims. The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) in Austin is responsible for handling your Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim and benefits.
This page will show you how to file a new UI claim with TWC, how to check the status of a claim and your benefits, and how to contact TWC.
The fastest and easiest way to apply for your Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits is online with the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). You can file anytime, day or night. If you’re eligible, expect your claim to begin the Sunday of the week you submit your application. You can apply from your home, computers at public libraries or computers at a Workforce Solutions Center.
- Sign up for a User ID to begin your Unemployment Benefits Services application.
- Log on for Unemployment Benefits Services
Instructions and applications are available in both English and Spanish. The TWC online UI Benefits Services application is for regular, initial claims only.
File by Phone
If you decide to file by phone, the Tele-Center number is 1-800-939-6631 Toll Free.
TWC’s Unemployment Benefits Services website is user-friendly, has an online glossary, a FAQs page, and information in both English and Spanish. After filing your application, WorkInTexas.com – the state’s job bank – automatically launches to give you the added convenience of beginning your job search immediately.
You must be registered in WorkInTexas.com, so remember to take the time and completely fill out the online job application and resume. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for you to find a good job quickly!
In order to qualify for Unemployment Insurance, you should be separated from their jobs through no fault of their own, be available for work and be actively seeking work.
- Change Address. You can change your UI address using the Internet. Log on to Payment Request and click on the “Change Address” option.
- Review status of claim and payments. You can check the status of your claim and payments on the Internet. Log on to Claim and Payment Status and review the last payment or a history of payments on your claim.
- Hear status of claim and payments. You can hear the status of your claim and payments by calling Tele-Serv at 1-800-558-8321, and selecting option 2.
- Get answers to questions (benefits, eligibility, appeals). Many questions about filing for benefits, qualifying requirements, appeals, and eligibility can be answered by reading the Unemployment Insurance Benefits Handbook (PDF) and the UI information available on the Internet.
Requesting a Benefits Payment
If you have an active UI claim, you can request a benefits payment by phone or online. You will need:
- Your earnings amount for each week (if applicable)
- Your work search activities for each week
To Request Unemployment Benefits Payments Online: Log on to Unemployment Benefits Services.
To Request a Payment by Phone: After your unemployment claim is on file, call Tele-Serv 1-800-558-8321 Toll Free.
- WHEN TO CALL: Sunday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Monday – Wednesday 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- If you miss your assigned day, call Thursday or Friday 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Individuals needing telecommunications devices for the deaf (TDD) can communicate with TWC-UI offices by using Relay Texas. Those numbers are 1-800-735-2989 (TDD) or 1-800-735-2988 (Voice).
How to Contact TWC
The Texas Workforce Commission continues to experience extremely high call volumes in its UI Tele-Centers. Due to the increased calls and workload, and the difficulties that customers are having reaching staff, TWC will not penalize claimants when they are unable to reach the agency in a timely manner.
Call during off-peak times. If none of these resources answer your questions, continue calling the TWC UI Tele-Serv at 1-800-558-8321. The best time to call is the end of the week. Tele-Center lines are busier early in the week.